Brushing only reaches 25% of your mouth. To ensure you clean the whole mouth, use a LISTERINE? mouthwash twice daily by following these simple steps and tips. Brushing only reaches 25% of your mouth. To help ensure your whole mouth gets clean, properly use a LISTERINE? Mouthwash twice daily. Read this simple guide to select and learn how to use mouthwash as recommended by the experts at LISTERINE?.
What Is Mouthwash?
Mouthwash, sometimes called mouth rinse or oral rinse, is a liquid held, swished and/or gargled in the mouth. While not a replacement for brushing or flossing, certain types of mouthwash can provide anti-cavity, germ-killing and plaque-prevention benefits.
Antiseptic mouthwash is the most common type of mouthwash. Other types of mouthwash include varieties with fluoride; alcohol-free options; ones with natural ingredients; and mouthwashes formulated to target specific oral care issues, such as canker sores.
Answers to Your Mouthwash Questions
- When should you use mouthwash? Rinse twice daily.
- Do you use mouthwash before or after brushing? Rinse after brushing and flossing.
- How much mouthwash should you use? Follow the instructions on the label.
- Are you supposed to gargle mouthwash? Yes! Then spit it out; don’t swallow it.
How to Use Mouthwash
Using mouthwash seems like it should come naturally, but proper use is often overlooked. Here are some quick tips and a simple routine to follow for the best results.
A Simple Mouthwash Routine
1. Pour 20 milliliters (4 teaspoons) of LISTERINE? Antiseptic Rinse into a cup.
2. Don’t dilute the solution with water. Empty the cup’s contents into your mouth.
3. Swish for a full 30 seconds. (Try counting to 30 in your head or use a stopwatch.) Don’t worry if you can’t get to 30 seconds the first time – it gets easier each time you try.
4. During rinsing, gargle in your mouth.
5. Spit the solution out in the sink.
TIP: To keep breath fresh on the go, pick up a pack of LISTERINE POCKETMIST? Spray Mist.